vineri, 19 februarie 2010

Stuff

Since I stopped playing DOTA and poker or any life consuming games I might have become quite productive. In the past month, besides getting pretty high marks in my exams (10, 9, 9, 8, 7, 7, x) I've finished watching 4 TV series (scrubs, glee, it's always sunny in philadelphia and modern family), went to around 4 parties, read 3 books and seen some movies.

Scrubs isn't that funny. The jokes are good, but the script is quite badly written because it only made me do "hmph, that was a good one" and not get a proper laugh. However, it gave me an insight into the way hospitals - not in Romania though - work.

Glee isn't my type either. It's... well, it's a musical and takes place in a highschool. I always liked watching highschool-related movies/series because I wanted to know how that particular period is lived in other parts of the world. However, I only watched it for that.

Gasca, the only guy I know who likes The Office <3, told me about a series which was supposed to be funny, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I had read some comments on IMDb about it and one person said that it's "Seinfeld on crack". So obviously I immediately downloaded it. Too bad... it's not. I mean, it's not even close to Seinfeld's humour. Nor is it to any other humour. It was dry and God knows I love dry humour but I didn't like this series. It just didn't click to me. At times, I might've caught some good jokes but all in all it's not worth it. Charlie is a fake copy of George and sadly, I didn't find Danny de Vito funny. And yes, I've seen all 5 seasons.

I found out about Modern Family when it was nominated at Golden Globe and decided to give it a try. It features the actor who played Al Bundy in Married with Children, who got kinda old. I watched it with my mother and neither of us found it funny. Again, some good jokes at times but all in all it's kinda dull.

HOWEVER, I have read an exceptional book, 1984 by George Orwell. My gosh was it good! It's written in 1949 but the action takes place in 1984 and it's about a totalitarian political system, mainly about communism. It's made up of 3 parts; the first one presents the main character, who hates the system and whose actions and thoughts are completely parallel because he could go to jail at any moment, the second part presents his 'love' story with a young girl who also hated the system and the third part tells the story of how they got caught and what happened to them. It is oficially the only book that gave me the shivers while I read it. You just have to read it for yourself to know what I mean. The guys who thought up the TV show Big Brother got their idea from this book, btw.

I have also seen a really great Chinese movie, Chibi 赤壁 - Red Cliff, which tells the story of the 3 kingdoms' war. I usually don't like action movies, but this one was so well written and the procentage between the war parts and the way they planned the fight is so good that I love it. Too bad that 10 minutes before the end of the movie I realized there must be a second part because the final war hadn't taken place yet and, as a matter of fact, I was right. I finally downloaded the second part, 赤壁下, but hadn't had the time to watch it. It's becoming harder to watch a Chinese movie properly, as I had 2 subtitles - one in English and one in Chinese - and I was paying attention to both of them - one for the actual meaning and one for the Chinese characters - and I also paid attention to their pronounciation and the actual movie :))). I had to go back a lot, when I kept looking at the characters and didn't get anything of the action. Fun, nonetheless.

Anyway, these were the reviews for today. Meanwhile I have started school and my Chinese teacher taught us the new Chinese lesson in... Chinese. It was a bit of a shock for us, soon it became interesting and then tiring which led to my lost of wallet, which I still haven't find. I didn't lose much - my ID, my ING Card and my Student Card, but for what I lost I have to wander about a lot. I didn't lose it just because of the Chinese course of course, I was also up since 4 o'clock so yeah...

My mom got in the hospital, she had an operation and I must say that Romanian hospitals are shit. Honestly. She had to buy everything, even medical tubes, nevermind the medicines. Also the staff are so insensate, so cold-blooded, it's like the patients aren't people. It was definitely nothing like what I've seen in Scrubs. Yes, I know, they were always this way just that I haven't gone to one for a long time. I also realized that I never had an operation, nor have I had a broken bone. It is going to be awful when I will, since I'm definitely not used to it. Well, let's just hope that my mom is going to be ok, since she still has to stay there for a week. Btw, my mom's problem appeared mainly because of smoking and she hasn't smoked ever! Just me, my father, my brother and his girlfriend smoked and my mom smoked only passively. So when she comes back we won't be smoking in our house anymore and most likely we won't smoke at all. Sucks.

Tomorrow is the final day of Nights Awards voting, so do go on to http://awards/nights.ro and vote for Vania as the Best DJ. He was nominated at a lot of categories like: Best DJ, Best Musical Production with OK Corral - pink shue, Best Underground Musical Project with OK Corral, Best DJ Set with OK Corral @ Selectro, Expirat, Most Representative DJ in Foreign Countries with OK Corral, Best Party Brand with Groove++, Best Clubbing Radio Show with Nightgroove with Vania @ PRO FM Dance and Best Flyer with Shades of Grey. Good luck, Vania, Modelu, Thornado, Victor Stancov, Silas and Gojira!

If you're willing to party tonight come to The Ark, preferably dressed as a seaperson - seaman is mysoginistic, of course :P. It's the "Yacht Week Romania Release Party" and the music will be provided by Mike Rigler, French Cuisine and OK Corral! See you there!

Un comentariu:

devotchka spunea...

1. Dota used to rule. Thanks for the tip but since I get way too addicted to games, I decided to stop playing. I have doubts about starcraft 2 though...

2. OMFG - talking about your lulz talk topic - another alien who likes The Office. My god, what's happening?!